The Penmen Review is Southern New Hampshire University’s online journal for creative writers, featuring resource articles, spotlight interviews and writing in all genres, selected by our editorial board from submitted work.
The Penmen Review accepts submissions four times a year, and new submission cycles begin on the first day of January, April, July and October. Simultaneous submissions are accepted and writers retain all rights to their work. There are no submission fees for writers for submissions nor are fees paid. Meet the editorial board.
Southern New Hampshire University’s annual Fall Fiction Contest gives writers an opportunity to win up to $3,000 in SNHU scholarships, have their short stories featured in The Penmen Review and more.
More than 650 submissions were entered into the 2020 contest, and the finalists include an actress, an entrepreneur, a nurse, an aspiring manuscript editor and a travel enthusiast.
Here are the results:
- First Place: “Cereal and Fire” by Holli Harms
- Second Place: “Eggshells” by Jennifer Schallehn
- Third Place: “The Jump Off” by Laura Carnes Williams
- Fourth Place: “Over the Beyond” by E.M. Francisco
- Fifth Place: “Fare Thee Well, Basket Face” by Steven Christopher McKnight
Visit the Southern New Hampshire University website for more information on undergraduate, graduate and MFA online degrees in creative writing.